Diploma in Early Childhood Education is an 18-month Diploma in Early Childhood Development (ECD) and Education has been designed to give students the hands-on education, tools, and knowledge they need to work with children up to the age of 8 years old in both educational and care settings.
After successful completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Fully understand the child development process and the needs of the growing child.
- Demonstrate initiative and judgment when problem solving and have a broad and coherent knowledge of diverse students and how they learn.
- Engage professionally with colleagues, families, and students, and present clear, coherent, and independent thoughts, knowledge, and ideas.
- Utilise contemporary teaching methodologies to adapt to the changing education environment and demand.
- Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments.
Career Opportunities for Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- Learning Administrators
- Trainers and Life coaches
- Early Childhood Caregivers
- Instructional Assistants
- Caregivers in schools
Entry Requirements for Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- KCSE Mean Grade C (Plain) or;
- KCE Division II or;
- Primary Teacher Education (PTE) teacher training certificate or;
- At least D+ (Plus) in KCSE or KCE Division III and in addition have a KNEC ECDE Certificate or Ministry of Education DICECE Certificate or;
- KCE Division III and Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE- A level) Certificate with a minimum of one (01) principal.
- KNEC CAREER BOOKLET (2018) Page25 of 28
Programme Duration and Structure
This diploma course shall be offered in Four (4) terms of pre-service training or Six (6) terms in-service training. Candidates can complete the course in two years.
First Semester Units:
Unit Code Course Hours
TEC 001 Foundations of Early Childhood Education
TEC 003 Child growth, development and learning in ECE 45hrs
TEC 005 Administration and Management of ECE
TEC 007 Health, Care and Nutrition in Early childhood education
TEC 009 Child guidance and counseling
TEC 002 Early childhood Education Curriculum
TEC 004 Instructional Methods and Media in ECE
TEC 006 Early childhood education and environment
TEC 008 Language in Early childhood
TEC 010 Mathematics in Early Childhood Education
TEC 011 Science in Early Childhood Education
TEC 013 Social Studies in ECE
TEC 015 Development trends in ECE
TEC 017 Creative Arts and Music in ECE
TEC 019 Physical Education in ECE
TEC 021 Educational Research Methodology
Fourth Semester Units
TEC 012 Teaching Practice (Equivalent two units)
TEC 018 Research project (Equivalent two units)