About the Course
Diploma in Information Communication Technology (DICT) involves the study of ICT. It equips learners with the skills and knowledge of information and communication technologies, including computing, computer systems, and communication technologies.
Information Communication Technology course involves learning on how telecommunication technology is used to promote access, storage, transmission, and manipulation of information. It combines computing systems, software, and telecommunications to enhance effective use of information for better decision making, operations, and problem solving.
Knowledge & Skills Gained from Studying the Course
A person who takes Diploma in Information Communication Technology will gain various knowledge, skills and competencies. They include:
- Knowledge of computer systems
- Ability to select and use appropriate software and hardware
- Skills to use various application packages such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to identify and use various information systems
- Skills and knowledge of internet and computer networks
- Ability to adapt to new trends in ICT
- Communication skills
- Computer installation skills
- Software skills
- Web development skills
Employment Opportunities Gained from Studying the Course
After graduating with a Diploma in Information Communication Technology, one can be employed in various organizations. Here are the likely fields where one can be employed after studying the course:
- ICT companies such as airtel, safaricom, and Telcom.
- You can work as a computer operator in businesses such as supermarkets and small ICT firms
- Firms dealing with computer and internet connections
- Working in schools to install school computers
- Self-employment – you can start your own ICT firm
- Social media marketer or operator – you can run social media accounts for various companies, individuals, businesses, schools, and/or politicians
Benefits of Studying Diploma in Information Communication Technology
- Technology is driving many activities in the world right now. So there is high demand for ICT experts.
- Someone can start their own business and use their skills in ICT to make effective decisions, communicate with customers, and make their operations easy.
- The course makes people to evolve with the changing technology and new ways of communication, hence they can adapt easily to the new world.
- People who study ICT can relate well with people by improving their communications across geographical distances
- ICT graduates also become effective in data management and analysis.
The following entry requirements must be achieved in order to be admitted to do a course in Information Communication Technology (DICT) in college:
- KCSE C-
The course takes 2 Years until completion
Diploma in Information Communication Technology (DICT) is offered in three levels, and each level has 4 units.
- Introduction to Computing
- Computer Mathematics
- Entrepreneurship and Communication
- Computer Applications Practical I
- Computer Networking
- Internet Skills
- Computer Support and Maintenance
- Programming Concepts
- Principles of Web Development
- Foundations of Accounting
- Information Systems Project Skills
- Computer Applications Practical II
Institutions Offering Diploma in Information Communication Technology (DICT) Course