Kenyatta University (KU) is one of the oldest universities in Kenya. It was originally founded in 1965 as a tertiary college called Kenyatta College. It was later upgraded to a constituent college of the University of Nairobi (UoN) offering education courses. It was then called the Kenyatta University College. In 1985, the institution was promulgated to a fully-fledged university known as Kenyatta University, a name that has been retained to date. KU is the third oldest university in Kenya after University of Nairobi (1970) and Moi University (1984). Kenyatta University has the largest library in East and Central Africa and one of the largest in the continent.
Kenyatta University Main Campus is located along Thika High Way, next to Kahawa Barracks, Kiambu County. Its proximity, only 18 kilometers from Nairobi CBD, makes the main campus easily accessible by road along Nairobi-Thika Road. Other campuses of Kenyatta University are:
- Ruiru Campus(mostly hostels)
- Parkland Campus offering law
- Kitui Campus
- Nairobi City Campus
- Mombasa Campus
- Nakuru Campus
- Dadaab Campus
- Embu Campus
Kenyatta University offers certificate, diploma, degree, masters and PhD courses in various fields. The institution also has e-learning, school-based, part-time, open-learning, and regular modes of studies. This makes it flexible in terms of student choices. Furthermore, KU has over 18 schools, the oldest being the School of Education which was offered in 1970 as the education campus for Nairobi University. The latest school is the school of Security, Diplomacy and Peace Studies which started in 2018.
Other institutes and facilities offered at Kenyatta University include Chandaria Business Innovation and Incubation Center, Cisco Networking Academy, Confucius Institute, and Center for Refugee Studies and Empowerment among others.
Choosing to study at Kenyatta University is the first step towards experiencing holistic learning and a wide range of learning opportunities.
Kenyatta University Application
There are three ways you can apply for a course at Kenyatta University, but the most prominent are online application for self-sponsored students and KUCCPS application for government sponsored students.
Kenyatta University Online application is done through the link: https://crmweb.ku.ac.ke/cmc.crm.sts/StudentAuthentication/Authenticate.
Here are the steps you need to follow to apply for a course at Kenyatta University online:
- First, review Kenyatta University courses through the link: http://www.ku.ac.ke/index.php/programmes
- Choose a course of your preference
- Click Create account through the link: https://crmweb.ku.ac.ke/cmc.crm.sts/CreateAccount/Create?
- Once your account is created by filling all the details provided, go back and log in to the online application portal.
- Once you log in, choose your course and upload the required documents:
- Academic transcripts, certificates, and clear passport photo
- Scanned ID or passport
- Make the required payments, i.e. application fees – KES 2,000 for Certificate, Diploma, and Degree courses; KES 3,000 for postgraduate.
- Payments for online applications are made through M-PESA. The M-Pesa details will be provided in the application portal.
Application through KUCCPS
KUCCPS applications are done once the KUCCPS portal is opened. You need to log in using your KCSE index number, year of graduation, and the password is your KCPE index number.
Once you log in, you go to applications and follow the instructions provided. You will be required to choose four courses – first choice has three options, a, b and c. This is one course in 3 different universities. When applying, you will enter the course code for the university you are applying. All course codes for each university are found in the KUCCPS portal.
You can download application forms from this link and fill as required, then send the filled forms with attached academic documents, passport and ID. Makes sure the application is delivered to Kenyatta University offices or through postal address.
Kenyatta University Admission Requirements
To be admitted for a degree course at Kenyatta University, one needs to have attained a minimum of C+ in KCSE.
Each school also has specific degree requirements according to the demands of their course. Go through the list of Kenyatta University schools to find degree courses available, their minimum requirements, courses to be taken, notes, and past papers for your course.
Kenyatta University Portal
Every student at Kenyatta University needs to have a student account which is accessible through KU portal. In this portal, you can access your courses, units, grades, and fees structure. Registration of courses is also done online through the student portal.
How to Create an Online Account in the KU Students Portal
Step 1: Go to student portal through the link https://portal.ku.ac.ke/
Step 2: Click “Log-in” and on the drop-down menu select “Student Homepage Portal”
Step 3: On the page that opens, click on “Create a New Account.”
Step 4: Fill the form with your details such as names, and Student ID. Remember, student ID is always the middle and the last part of your registration number. For instance, if your number is e35/7568/2017, then your Student ID will be 7568/2017
Step 5: Enter the place of birth and click next. This will be used to reset your password in case you forget.
Step 6: Student Email will be displayed. Click Yes. If you do not have your email address in the system you will see NULL or 0.
Step 7: You will be given your username. Note it down because you will need it to log in.
Step 8: Enter new password and then confirm password. Cluck Submit.
Step 9: You can now go back and log in using the username that was generated by the system and the password you selected.
Step 10: Begin using your portal to register for units, check fees balance, and monitor your grades.
How to Register for Units through KU Portal
To register for units at Kenyatta University through the student portal, use the following steps:
- Log in to your student portal through the link https://portal.ku.ac.ke/
- Click on “Academics,” and then “Online Registration.”
- Go to “Begin Online Registration.”
- If you have problems with finance, you will see an error that says, “Online Registration is Not Available.” This means you have a hold.
- Clear with finance first by submitting your deposit slips at the student finance office. The officer on duty will remove the hold
- Proceed to registration and use “Quick Add” at the bottom left of your screen to search for your courses.
- Type the code of your course, e.g. EET300 and click “Add.”
- Repeat the same for all your units for the semester. You will see your selected courses on the right.
- On the top of your course list table, click “Proceed to Final Step.”
- You will be taken to a screen where you click “Register.”
- All the courses that you registered will appear and you can start learning.
Kenyatta University Admission Letters
Kenyatta University’s KUCCPS admission letter can be accessed online through the link: https://admissionletters.ku.ac.ke/kuccps.php.
To log in, type your KCSE index number and year in the format KCSE Index No/Year, e.g. 34678567002/2020
Click Log in and you will be directed to a page where you can fill your details and download the admission letter and other admission requirements.
Kenyatta University Fees Structure
Kenyatta university fees structure differs according to course and school. Fees are charged differently for the following groups of courses: arts, science, law, medicine, pharmacy, Nursing, diploma, short courses, bridging, and certificate.
Kenyatta University Courses
Certificate and Diploma Courses
KU Undergraduate Courses
KU Masters Courses
KU PhD Courses
KU Bank Account Details
- Kenyatta University Family Bank Account No: 045-000-023-316.
- Kenyatta University Co-operative Bank Account No: 011-2906-246-1400.
- Kenyatta University National Bank of Kenya Account No: 010-0305–915-0801.
- Kenyatta University Equity Bank Limited Account No: 0180290518859.
Kenyatta University Contacts
Postal Address: Kenyatta University, P.O. Box 43844-00100, Nairobi.
Tel: +254 20 870 Ext 4000/3000.
Physical Address: Thika Road, 18 KM from Nairobi CBD.